Date: August 4, 2009
Location: Linux Caffe
- Paul Tarvydas
- Vish Singh
- Abram Hindle
- Doug Hoyte
- Mark Bolusmjak
This was a general discussion meeting.
- Abram discussed his .emacs file, various macros and tools that he uses
- Emacs org mode: a useful tool for hierarchically organizing notes
- "Emacs makes a great operating system.. all it needs is a good text editor"
- Vish brought up Transients in Clojure, the newest feature. Is it a good idea, or a clumsy workaround?
- Compare and contrast this with "declare" optimizations in Common Lisp.
- "Let Over Lambda", by Doug Hoyte, is now available in Japanese as well as English
- Damian Conway gave a talk at the University of Toronto (Toronto Perlmongers)
- Discussed pros and cons of Amazon Kindle
- Unfortunately wireless downloading of books is not available in Canada?
- Looking forward to the Apple Tablet, it may be an even better ebook reader than the Kindle
- new member discussed the possibility of using Clojure with an Oracle database engine
- Java runs directly on the engine, so it would be easier than using PL/SQL
- idea: create a club repository on GitHub, just for fun projects